This recipe makes a great substitute for a meat loaf if you are vegetarian, vegan, on a KETO diet or just feel like something different.
Vegetarian Cheese and Nut Loaf
This vegetarian cheese and nut loaf (or pâté) is a great substitute for when a regular meat loaf is out of the question. It’s easy to make, tastes great and get’s you all kinds of healthy nutrients. It has the veggies, fibre, Omega-3, protein and plenty of flavour.
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) cooked brown rice
- 125 ml (1/2) cup wheat germ
- 125 ml (1/2) cup chopped walnuts or cashews
- 125 ml (1/2) cup thinly sliced mushrooms preferably Cremini
- 125 ml (1/2) cup shredded carrots
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) pepper
- 225 g (1/2 lb) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 eggs beaten
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine sautéd onion and garlic with rice, wheatgerm, nuts, mushrooms, carrots, salt, pepper and 1/2 of the grated cheese
- Mix well, add eggs and mix again
- Transfer to a well greased loaf pan
- Bake in a pre-heated 175 °C (350 °F) oven for 50 minutes
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese after 30 minutes
- Optionally, broil for a few minutes to finish
- Serve with a salad, gravy or mayo, and a glass of white wine. All optional of course.
Click to rate this post!